Fifty-Nine years ago, on September 17, 1948, residents of Mount Dora met to discuss forming a little theatre. Enthusiasm was so great that officers were elected that very night. Within days, an abandoned ice plant was located, and although it needed much work, it was acoustically perfect. With a lease in hand, the IceHouse Players were on their way!
Those founders had a dream…to provide quality theatre that will challenge the minds of our patrons, inspire children of the communities we serve, and bring families closer through the shared experience of the theatre. Our volunteers are still the lifeblood of our theatre and their dedication and commitment is inspiring to the community.
The IceHouse Players opened to a full house on February 7, 1949 with “Return Engagement.” We continued to produce quality theatrical performances in the converted ice plant for ten years. In 1958, on land donated by the municipality, the current 270-seat facility was built. The theatre has one stage and two small dressing rooms. Set construction, rehearsals, and productions take place in the same limited area.
Support from the communities in our area continues to grow. We have been able to complete numerous projects over the years including: paving of the parking lot in 1997, replacement of the theatre seats in 1998, and now we have our sights set on expanding the lobby.
In 1997, we changed our name to The Mount Dora Theatre Company to honor the city that has supported, nurtured and encouraged us throughout the decades. The Mount Dora Theatre Company is committed to benefiting not only Mount Dora, but also all of Central Florida. We strive to provide Florida artists with quality, diversity, and opportunities to enrich their talents
The IceHouse Theatre honors the founding members of the IceHouse Players - those whose foresight, ambition, dreams and dedication established the art of the theatre as a vital asset to the cultural life of our Community.
IceHouse Players Inc., September 17, 1948
Celia Clafin -President
Wm. Jay Barker - Vice President
Walter J. Patton, Jr. - Treasurer
Mae Buckman - Secretary
Gordon Goodrich - Director
John Barker, Bill Barker, Raoul Barker, Mr. Fred Bradford, Mrs. Fred Bradford, Mrs. Donald Gawthrop, Edward P. Klatte, Betsy Kramer,
Sally Leatherbury, Betty Jo McDonald,
Betty Partridge, Jean Patterson(Whitcomb),
Mary Martha Simpson(Waite), Mary Taylor Simpson,
Lola Tucker, Mrs. Robert Graves, Helen Wages
and Glen Woodworth