The State Theater originally opened in 1922 as a vaudeville house. The building was also used as a movie theater for many years. By 1975, it had been vacant for many years. Because of its original purpose, the theatre contained a curved balcony-mezzanine, a fly-loft, an orchestra pit, and wonderful visibility and acoustics. The group leased the 50-year old theatre with sweat equity (by renovating, repairing, and renovating the building, and paying only $60 per month in rent).